I made a deal with myself at the end of June to get more consistently active and it’s really been great so far.
Exercise and being active is not something I’ve ever enjoyed on a regular basis, but as I get older the health benefits of regular activity become more and more apparent. I haven’t exercised much this year until after my three weeks in New York/Europe/Las Vegas were up at the end of June. All that walking around on those trips jump started me and since then I’ve been very active, going to the gym 4 times a week, swimming regularly and doing consistent yoga work. While this increased activity may make me sore and achy, it’s better than the aches and awful pain I feel from non-movement. Plus, I have no excuse not to work out right now – I have plenty of time! Physical health is now a priority.
Weird aside: when I work out, I like to only wear shirts I purchased/was given at a sporting event I attended live. It’s resulted in some interesting convos with folks who want to chat about their favorite team (or least favorite, as was the case with the Dallas Cowboys shirt). I’ll wear any team’s shirt, except for the Lakers because — the Lakers. That Warriors shirt is hard for me to wear, but I got it at a 2014 playoff game up in Oakland and it brings back great memories.
That’s a long way to get to sharing my current gym playlist. I like ALL sorts of music — rock, rap, hip hop, R&B, dance, electronica, jazz, classic rock, even some country — but when I’m doing cardio I tend to listen only to dance or electronica. I want an assortment of songs with a BPM from 110-140, so that when I’m on a cardio machine my pace varies. I may throw one or two slower songs in there, just to give myself a short break on a long work out.
Note, these aren’t my favorite songs. In fact one on this list I think is pretty lame, BUT it really pushes me on the elliptical. These are just the songs that help me work out and maybe it’ll help you out, too!
- “Heavenly Bodies by Midnight Faces – 144 BPM. This song really keeps my pace high.
- “Don’t Be So Hard On Yourself” by Jess Glynne – 120 BPM
- “Beggin for Thread” (Salva Remix) by Banks – 122 BPM
- “Rock and Roll Rave” by the Preatures – 90 BPM – this is my slow jam during my workout!
- “SOB” by Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night sweats – 110 BPM – Such a great song, I find myself getting lost and go much faster than the pace the song sets.
- “Adventure of a Lifetime” by Coldplay – 112 BPM
- “Fingerprints” (Bermuda Star Remix) by Kita Klane – 110 BPM
- “Pretty Pimpin” by Kurt Vile – 90 BPM – My other slow jam!
- “Turbulence” (Club Edit) [Feat. Lil Jon] by Laidback Luke and Steve Aoki – 132 BPM – This is that lame song, but fuck does it get me going hard. Sometimes I’ll put this on repeat.
- “Magnets” (feat. Lorde) [A-Trak Remix] by Disclosure – 125 BPM
- “I Ran” (Epic Trailer Remix) by Hidden Citizens – 120 BPM – When you hear this song on your cardio machine of choice, you’ll swear you’re suddenly running from or to some unknown danger screaming “Noooooooooo!” in your best Tom Cruise impression ever. This one is fun!
- “Fire” by Barns Courtney – 110 BPM
- “Weatherman” (feat. Josh Taylor & Benny Bridges) by Justin Jay – 124 BPM – added this week!
Now, put these on shuffle and get it!